Trapped. That’s how I feel when I’m sitting in line at the pharmacy, waiting for a prescription. There’s no one in line when you pull up, and you think, ‘Wow, I might actually get out of here before my youngest child graduates from high school.’ Even pulling up to the window gives you hope because the scrub-wearing staff member is holding the tin can-sounding phone that makes you think you might be next.
But, then, it happens.
After telling you they’ll be right with you, your wait begins. So, I’ve devised a list of things you can do to pass the time while you’re waiting for the sweet relief of death or for your prescription to be ready.
1. Shop online. Maybe if you order your prescription online it will get here faster.
2. Catch up on all the texts you’ve ignored…nah, maybe tomorrow.
3. Gather up all of the trash in your car. Find all of the lost cheerios, discarded sippy cups, crushed styrofoam Sonic cups, stray socks, sticky-paged books and Barbie shoes, and put them all into a grocery sack you will throw away as soon as you get home. Oh, you don’t have a grocery sack? Just put the trash back where it was.
4. Play the license plate game. As other cars in the second lane of the pharmacy drive thru come and go with their prescriptions, see what exotic places they might be going to or hailing from. It could be somewhere exciting like Oklahoma.
5. Look for shapes in the clouds. Relive your childhood days by finding hidden gems in white, fluffy clouds. There’s a dog chasing a cat. There’s a race car. Oh, wait, that looks like your car. And it’s waiting in line at the pharmacy. Well, forget this.